5 Tips for Getting Pregnant
There are many tips for getting pregnant. But we have discussed the most important ones in this article. Because every woman is different so is their reproductive needs as well.
If you are trying to get pregnant and this is not happening as fast as you want, do not be troubled. Infact research as shown that only 50% of healthy and fertile couples conceive in the first 3 months(you can imagine that).
You have to know that being healthy is not the same as being fertile. With patience and perseverance, coupled with the important tips in this post, you would be able to get pregnant.
How to increase you chances of getting pregnant
1. Start taking a preconception vitamin
Do you know that taking a preconception vitamin is a great way to get to conceive faster. Preconception supplements consists of the recommended vitamins and nutrients required to conceive a healthy baby.
The fact is, a lack or a deficiency in some vitamins in the body delays conception. And this may be the reason why you are not getting pregnant.
Doctors advise couples trying to conceive to start taking preconception vitamins at least 3 months before they plan to take in.
Both the man and the woman should take a prenatal vitamin and this is why:
Folic acids helps to reduce neural tube defect in babies when taken before pregnancy and through out the first trimester.
Remember the journey of conception starts from the development of an healthy egg and a healthy sperm. 400-800µg of folic acid is recommended for women.
Also consume foods high in folic acid such as broccoli, lentils, spinach, okra, brussels sprout, avocado and peas.
Folic acid is a must in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. It helps prevent neurological disorder in babies. The earlier you start the better for you and your baby.
You can take folic acid on its own or take as a part of other preconception vitamins(most recommended).
You have no excuse not to start now. Don't let laziness or lack of knowledge affect the health of your unborn child.
Another important mineral for conceiving is iron. Adequate level of iron is required for fertility. Researchers have shown that low level of iron is a cause of miscarriage, infertility and low birth weight in new born babies.
Women are more likely to have to low levels of iron due to their menstruation.
Studies have shown that 1 in 5 women actually begin their pregnancy with the required level of iron.
Therefore if you are trying to get pregnant make sure you take at least 20mg of iron daily to prevent iron deficiency.
2. Know the day of your ovulation
Timing is everything when trying to conceive. A woman only has 6 days in a month that she can get pregnant.
These 6 days of fertility are known as the fertile window. A sperm can leave up to 5 days in a woman. Whereas an egg can only survive for 24 hours after it has been released at ovulation.
If a woman has unprotected intercourse outside her fertile window the probability of getting pregnant is significantly reduced.
For example if you have sex 6 days before you ovulate, your probability is 10%. If you have sex on the day of ovulation, the probability of conceiving is 90% provided all is well with your reproductive system and the male sperm.
A woman most fertile days are the two days before ovulation. With ovulation being the highest peak day to conceive.
The difficult part is detecting the day you are going to ovulate. But thanks to ovulation predictor kits and fertility monitors that are easy to use, read and accurate.
If you are really serious about conceiving I recommend you get a very good fertility monitor like this one. It is so easy to use, read and accurate.
Other ways you can track ovulation is through cervical mucus charting, Basal body temperature, ovulation calculators and ovulation calendars.
Numerous researches have linked stress to one of the causes of infertility. Stressing about pregnancy can even drive conception far away.
Stress and anxiety releases cortisol (a stress hormone). Stress hormone disrupts the normal function of the sex hormone that regulates the menstrual cycle.
Your body gives priority to survival rather than reproduction at this stage.
Most couples that ended up conceiving naturally say it happened when they where not even trying. Some couples trying to conceive turn the act of love making into a task which is emotionally draining and stressful at the same time.
Take a chill pill if you have been trying to conceive for a while and it is not happening. Especially if the doctor has done a preconception health check and you and your partner are fine.
Instead of stressing out continue taking your preconception vitamins, stop smoking and avoid alcohol. Also get a fertility monitor or an ovulation kit.
Take a relaxing holiday to another city or country with your partner and just chill out or fall in love again.
Although there are no confirmed studies yet that any particular positions make you get pregnant faster. But when trying to conceive a boy or a girl, some positions favour one over the other.
A deep penetration position favours the conception of a baby boy while a shallow penetration position favours the conception of a girl.
After intercourse, avoid standing up immediately or rushing to pee. Lying down after intercourse gives the sperm an opportunity to swim upwards.